August 29, 2010

Jury duty

In the county where I live, one may be summoned for jury duty every three years.  In the 15 years I have lived here, I was summoned for the 2nd time last week.

For those of you who have passed time in a juror's waiting room, you know that it can be challenging to keep occupied.  Some folks bring a book and immerse themselves .... the young woman next to me had one open on her lap, but could not seem to read more than a paragraph before her Blackberry called to her and she spent time with that instead.

I brought a book AND my Zentangle supplies, and knew after I'd read the same page going on 3 times that it was a lost cause... I could not focus.  So out came my tile, pencil and pen, and I was off to let myself go and see what showed up.  Believe me, this is still a challenge for me... letting go of having to do it beautifully and then once finished, wanting to judge it as 'I could have done better'.  I just let go and it was great fun... and I know that one or two people in my vicinity took sidelong glances since I was not hiding what I was doing.


Luckily we were excused after only 90 minutes in that room, and my civic duty is complete for another three years, and hopefully much longer.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I love your work so much!!! Can you be any age to join a class? If so, I am 14 and such an artist with you. when will be your next class?

    ReplyDelete